We all know our age, we all know our kids age and etc. But have you ever thought about your smartphone age? Smartphones like Apple iPhones can last very long, or if you can’t afford new device from Apple store, you can buy one in second hand market, like in ebay, craiglist, or facebook stores. So in this simple and short article we will help our readers to find out how old the iPhone device is and is it worth to buy or not.
You can find out two dates of iPhone:
- Production date of the iPhone: This is the date when the iPhone was produced by the factory and shipped out from the factory. This date is not much important. Because it takes weeks, or months to come to the product to the store and again it takes another period to be purchased by a customer. All in together it might take nearly 3-4 months for iPhone to be actually “used” by a user from the date it was produced.
- Purchased date of the iPhone: This is the date you should be more concerned about. When you buy an iPhone, Apple gives you a warranty of one year. By knowing this date, you can calculate the date on which your iPhone was purchased.
Want to the find the age of your iPhone, use one of these methods.
Find The Serial Number Of Your IPhone.
The serial number of your device is unique and everyone device has it’s own. Serial number is given by the manufacture to identify the device. When you give your iPhone to repair or to resell, your phone is identified by the serial.If you want to check the age of your iPhone you should first know the serial number of your iPhone. Follow the below steps to get your serial number of your iPhone
To get the serial number of your phone,
- Open settings
- Go to the general tab.
- Scroll down to about
- Now you will see a description panel about your phone. In there you can get the serial number.
Find IPhone Age From The Apple Website
On the Apple website, there is a page to check the warranty period of your phone. From this page, you can get the date which the warranty expires. Follow the steps below to see the warranty period of your iPhone.
To see these dates you need to go to the Check coverage webpage on apple.com
- Go to the webpage.
- Enter the serial number of the iPhone ( you can enter the serial number of any Apple device)
- On the next page, you will be able to see the date on which your warranty expires.
Now, since apple’s manufactures warranty is usually one year long, you can get the date which the iPhone was purchased. Then you can calculate the age of the iPhone. In this method, you get the purchased date of the iPhone which is the actual usage time of the iPhone.
But the thing is if your iPhone is more than one year old you might not see the warranty expiry date. So, you will have to find the iPhone age using another method.
Find IPhone Age Using Online Tool: Chipmunk
The Dutch website “Chipmunk” offers a free service, with which you can find out (besides some technical data about your iPhone) the year of production and the week of production:
1. First open the “Chipmunk” website on your iPhone, PC or Mac and enter your iPhone’s serial number (see above) in the text input field. Then click on the “Laat de informatie zien” button.
2. On the next page you can determine exactly how old your iPhone is on the basis of the details Production week and Production year.
We tested the tool with an iPhone X.
On this page, you can see the production year and the production week. Which is close to the actual purchase date.
Find Your IPhone Age By Serial Number
When you look at the serial number of your iPhone there is some information that you can extract from the serial number itself. One of the information is the manufacture year.
Your serial number should look similar to this. In this number by looking at the 4th character, you can find the age of your iPhone. Refer to the table below to find the age.
Now as you can see you cannot get the age of the iPhone that was built after 2019. So it is better to check the age using the method 1 and 2.
I hope these all methods helped you to find the age of device you are interested in. And this simple tutorial made and idea how old your device is. This is useful if you want to buy second hand iPhone’s online.